Tom

There are 16 definitions in the first hit in Google[1]. I expect it's the
one you took a quick glance at.

11 are for a noun, which is the word type at issue here. 5 are for a verb so
I'm skipping those.

<quote>

1  issue, issuing, issuance
   the provision of something by issuing it (usually in quantity); "a new
issue of stamps"; "the last issue of penicillin was over a month ago"

2 issue, publication
   the act of issuing printed materials

3  exit, issue, outlet, way out
    an opening that permits escape or release; "he blocked the way out";
"the canyon had only one issue"

4  topic, subject, issue, matter
   some situation or event that is thought about; "he kept drifting off the
topic"; "he had been thinking about the subject for several years"; "it is a
matter for the police"

 5  issue
   an important question that is in dispute and must be settled; "the issue
could be settled by requiring public education for everyone"; "politicians
never discuss the real issues"

6  issue, number
   one of a series published periodically; "she found an old issue of the
magazine in her dentist's waitingroom"

7  emergence, egress, issue
   the becoming visible; "not a day's difference between the emergence of
the andrenas and the opening of the willow catkins"

8  offspring, progeny, issue
   the immediate descendants of a person; "she was the mother of many
offspring"; "he died without issue"

9  consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot
   a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the
magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had
depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"

10  return, issue, proceeds, take, takings, yield, payoff
   the income arising from land or other property; "the average return was
about 5%"

11  issue, military issue, government issue
   supplies (as food or clothing or ammunition) issued by the government

</quote>

I don't really find "problem" in any of the above, do you? 5 is closest.

Chris Mason

[1] I've noticed when checking on a word that I usually find the identical
definitions in many online dictionaries so I expect this first hit will do.