On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 02:49:53 +0100, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You'll note the recommendation *not* to have CLPA permanently specified in
>your IEASYSxx member.
>
>After a change to the "LPALST concatenation", CLPA need be specified for one
>IPL and one IPL only.

<snip>

That may be the recomendation in the manual, but I think virtually all
shops that don't use checkpoint/restart specify it.  The extra minute
or two during each IPL far outweighs the chances that CLPA will be
missed by the operator when you need it.  With the operating system
being so stable these days (and for a *long* time now), IPLs are often
done just to bring in IBM maintenance - which would probably include
updates to libraries in the LPA concatenation anyway.

Perhaps the recommendation in the manual should be changed with a note
added about checkpoint/restart.

As a side note... I originally wrote IPLINFO (which at that time
consisted of the "IPL section" only with less information than there
is today) just to find out if the system was IPLed with CLPA over the
weekend if the operator was instructed to do so (this was the same
shop that the auditors didn't want it done unless there was a documented
change being made). When the CLPA option in IEASYSxx became available,
we didn't hesitate to add it in.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group - GITO