On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:11:56 -0500, Shane Ginnane wrote:

>So ....
>IBM obviously couldn't use the z11 name and so the marketing intelligentsia
>came up with that marvellous ploy to fill the gap.
>
>Let's hope they have dibs on the next few iterations of z<number>, so we can
>avoid this farce again in future.

Who cares!?

"What's in a name?  ..."  -- WS

Actually, some things.  IBM didn't understand that the output of
"uname -s" is customarily used as an API by UNIX scripts when
they changed it from "OS/390" to "z/OS".  But IBM relented, and
"uname" now says we're at OS/390 1.23.  And even "OS/390"
has problems; the solidus breaks GNU autoconfigure.  IBM does
not much care to play well with others.

-- gil