From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 12:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Best catch up resources for MVS / ZOS Technologies

If you are a significant coder or maintainer of assembler code, one big
improvement that IIRC no one has mentioned is the relaxation of the base
register nightmare. You know, where you go to make a one-minute change to some
code and you kick it over the 4K boundary and you are faced with three
unappealing choices: commit another register to be an additional base, split
the module in half, or figure out some hack that gets some big data area out of
the basic 4K range.

The solution is the relatively (ha ha) new branch relative instructions,
commonly referred to as jumps due to their Jxx mnemonics -- plus some other
"relative" instructions such as LARL. A full tutorial is out of scope for a
mailing list e-mail, but the classics comics version is that you replace all of
the Bxx instructions with Jxx, move your data areas to the beginning of the
CSECT with LOCTR, and your 4K base register issues should go away, pretty much
for good.

Charles