Bingo. And GM eventually took back their outsourced (cloud) processing from EDS.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 11:50 AM, Dave Jousma
<000001a0403c5dc1-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

>No, "cloud" and "outsourcing" are two distinct concepts.  While it is
>very likely these days that all "outsourcing" would involve cloud-based
>services, it is not true that "cloud-based" services must be "outsourced".

>A corporation can easily choose to run its own distributed, in-house
>cloud services.  Any corporate data center that supports branch offices
>with remote access over the Internet to corporate applications fits the
>definition of cloud-based computing from the viewpoint of the branch
>offices.  If the corporate data center is not outsourced, then neither
>are the cloud-based services it provides to its branches.

Definitely semantics.  I keep telling non-mainframers here at work that
mainframe has been a "cloud" for decades.  Think about it, teams just deploy
their apps and they run, no server provisioning, etc.    Continuous
availability, nah AWS has nothing on MF.

Today's "cloud" is infrastructure outsourcing, nothing less.  Except that the
new outsourcers (Amazon, and others), have gotten smarter.  Easy to get in,
costs an arm and a leg to get out.  In distributed systems its a slow growth,
server here, server there, before long you have 100's, 1000's of AWS instances
all at the mercy of someone somewhere who knows.

I used to work for IBM in the 90's in their outsourcing business.  Companies
that outsourced to reduce capital asset requirements but still were actively
using mainframe space, didnt seem to stay outsourced long.    Any deviation
from original contract to add services was a nightmare.  My observation is that
company's where MF was stablized, or a company in financial trouble were the
ones that stayed.

All of this ebb's and flows over time, we'll see how this all shakes out.