On 3/4/23 18:11, Seymour J Metz wrote:
I, OTOH, was appalled by C ever since it came out, much preferring PL/I.

Certainly, the reasons for PL/I's failure are subject to debate, but there are several factors that may have contributed:

1.

   IBM was the primary stakeholder and developer of PL/I, which may
   have limited its adoption and prevented a more diverse community
   from contributing to its development.

2.

   IBM's focus on mainframe computing meant that PL/I was primarily
   used in that context, which may have limited its appeal outside of
   that niche.

3.

   FORTRAN was already well-established as a language for scientific
   computing, which may have made it difficult for PL/I to gain
   traction in that area.

4.

   Other languages, such as Ada, were designed with more open standards
   and free toolchains, which may have made them more attractive to
   developers than PL/I.

As for assembler, there are a lot of things that I can do in a single statement
that are awkward and verbose in C. Further, 95% of my experience has been with
macro assemblers, and C's macro language looks like a joke.

You can't optimize for hardware that hasn't been invented yet! Almost all C compiler can also compile C++. I recommend to people who whinge about C string handling to just switch to C++ and use std::string. The C++ gospel is ruled by the zero-overhead principle. In other words, you only pay for what you use.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3