From:   Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Date:   19/02/2014 09:11
Subject:        Re: Optimization, CPU time, and related issues
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

Ed Jaffe opines:
>Of course, "Fugget about it" is expected from IBM, but there are
>software vendors making a comfortable living helping their customers
>save serious cash by minimizing their monthly peak R4HAs. Some of them
>spread out batch workload; some of them raise, lower, and move LPAR caps
>around; some are simply far more CPU efficient than popular alternatives.

Who said "Fugget about it"? Not me. I think I wrote rather the opposite.
More importantly, I also *do* the opposite. I'll tell you how to run your
systems at peak efficiency (if I know), and I'm very happy to do that.

If you reduce your peak four hour rolling average you'll "probably" save
mainframe money. Whether that's "serious" money or not is highly
situational, but note that it's only ever mainframe-related cash. I think
what I wrote was very clear in highlighting that if it costs you
$1,000,000
in non-mainframe money to save $100,000 in mainframe money, that's, well,
supremely dumb! And that supremely dumb act seems to happen way too often.

In other words, I do try to keep a "Check If Stupid" circuit always
active.
And that's really important. You've utterly lost the plot if MSU reduction
is a goal unto itself, without any context whatsoever. Shooting half your
end users dead may be an effective way of reducing peak 4HRA MSUs, but
that'd be another example of "stupid" and some other pejoratives besides.

But let's suppose there is a reasonable, positive business case for taking
action X to reduce peak MSUs by Y. Let's suppose for sake of argument you
can improve the bottom line by $50. Should you go work on that $50 savings
project, or should you go work on the $50,000 savings project first? I'd
vote for door #2.

So, to recap, there are at least two "check if stupid" steps. One step is
whether there's any positive business case at all. The second, if there's
positive business case, is whether it's the first project to tackle, or
whether there are more rewarding projects that should come first. You
optimize when (and only when) it makes overall business sense, and you
first spend your time on the most rewarding projects, not the least.

That's my point, and I think it should have been obvious in what I wrote.

Timothy Sipples
VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.