Tom Marchant wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:53:59 -0600, Jack J. Woehr wrote:

Not everyone on IBM-Main has access to a zLinux partition. Not everyone is able
to use open source software.

True enough. But at this jolly moment in the history of our craft, methinks any mainframe operation which doesn't have such access is in a tailspin.

IBM made the mistake creating a file containing MVS documentation that couldn't
be used by their customers who are on Windoze machines and who are not able to
install any software on them.

The objective reality seems to be that one IBM employee made a trivial mistake which wouldn't have stopped a 15-year-old for three minutes thusly setting off a week-long root cause analysis symposium among mature programmers with a few thousand years of collective experience.

I think it's indicative of something like "information technology managerial practices are dangerously and senselessly outdated", and maybe that each IBM mainframe customer needs a z/Linux LPAR if they want to stay in business.

--
Jack J. Woehr     # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe