From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Brian Westerman
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:49 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: remote system support (i.e. the data center is 2 states
away from you).

Now that most mainframes (at least for the past several years) have OSA-ICC's,
there is no reason to worry about not having a console connection remotely.  We
routinely define 16 consoles and 16 3270's (non-console) to each LPAR (a few
more for production LPARs sometimes).  I can't think of the last time that I
couldn't get into any of the client mainframes that wasn't a flat-out network
issue, and that can't normally be handled from z/OS anyway.  That's why you
have network appliances to control the network.

You need to make sure that you ALWAYS have multiple points of entry to the
LPARs available to you, TCP to OSA, TCP to OSA-ICC, LPAR to LPAR, etc.  If a
site is still using and/or paying for a local control unit and 3270's when
their system supports OSA-ICC they really need to think about spending their
money more wisely.  I would trust an OSA-ICC a lot more than some old 3274.
The ICC's are cheap enough that really worried sites can purchase a backup.

If you need to enter the computer room to get or keep your site working, then
you are doing something wrong.  I'm not saying that you might not need to get
to the HMC, but if you physically have to go to it to use it, then you have set
things up badly.

We do have a couple very old sites (who don't have OSA-ICC's) where the backup
way in is the HMC, and then a dial-up to the HMC in case the network to the HMC
fails.  One of the banks we support still has local 3274 control units on a
z800, and they have a phone line attached to a PC in the computer room that is
wired directly to the 3274 via CUT.  We have never needed to use it, but we
still test it out once a month.

In my opinion, in the end, it's up to you as the consultant to make sure that
you can get in if there is a problem.  If you don't set it up right or can't,
then you're in the wrong business.  This is not meant as a comment on anyone's
abilities, not everyone is going to know how to set things up for 100% remote
support without doing some research.  In my case, I helped to design some of
it, so I'm able to work comfortably with it.

Brian

 Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only
for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message
in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately.