Fascinating subject for most of us, just look at all the replies.
Makes me sorry that I am close to retirement when things keep getting more
interesting.
    Many years ago that I started doing all of the zOS maintenance because
the rest of the group was eliminated or switched to Unix/Win.  Incredible
tools developed allowed that to happen.  I could download and install major
systems in no time at all.  We went from a bunch of zOS people doing
systems to one zOS and a much larger bunch doing Unix/Win. They called this
"progress".  Hmmm.
     How remote support happened at Acme Anvils. I installed TCPIP on the
MF when no one in management had any interest in it. I bought and paid for
a very expensive cell phone and software many years ago which allowed me to
login to work so that I could play Renaissance music at faires all week-end
while on-call. (amazing how many of us are also musicians)  Once others saw
this, everyone had to have it.  It was worth every cent.
    After all these years the major obstacle to remote support is that
management still had not learned how to manage it--- In my (not so) humble
opinion.
    My comment to John McKown is "what happens when you want to go on a
real vacation", you know, Europe or Asia?  I realize that one reason I am
at my current consultant job is so that the FTE can go on vacation.
Humbling, but at this point, no problem. I make myself useful.