From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] System REXX and UNIX

OK, so I'm weird. That should be well known around here <grin>. I'm really
getting into System REXX to help replace what CA-OPS/MVS does in our shop
(remember we're dying and OPS license expires in Feb 2017).

What I am doing is using the MPFLSTxx member of PARMLIB to run a user exit,
given to me by Dana Mitchell, called MPF2REXX which sets up some REXX variables
then uses the AXREXX facility to run a System REXX program.

What would make some coding easier would be if I could do an ADDRESS SYSCALL.
Unfortunately, this environment is not on the list of environments available in
either (TSO & non-TSO) server. What I'm trying to do is emulate the use of
"global" CA-OPS/MVS variables. I.e. variables which can be created in any rule
and read / modified / deleted in any other rule. The easiest way that I've
thought of is to have a UNIX directory dedicated to this functionality. I could
then use the SYSCALL functions to create / read / write / delete files in this
directory. The name of the file in the directory would be the same as the
CA-OPS/MVS "global" variable.

Unfortunately, all that I can think of to do is to use System REXX's
axrcmd() function to do a START command to run an STC which is a batch TMP to
run yet another REXX command to process the message. Passing all the data to
the new STC may be a bit of a bother too. You need to know that I'm stuck on
z/OS 1.12 and don't have a lot of the nice new JCL facilities (such as being
able to programmatically read JCL symbols from // SET statements).

Does anyone have a different idea how to emulate CA-OPS/MVS global variables in
System REXX programs, preferably in a non-TSO server?

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/

Maranatha! <><