On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Dana Mitchell <mitchd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:31:16 -0500, John McKown <
> john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What I'm trying to do is emulate the use of "global" CA-OPS/MVS
> variables. I.e. variables which can
> >be created in any rule and read / modified / deleted in any other rule.
>
> John,
>
> I emulated the services of Netview global variables (albeit inelegantly)
> by using a rexx function that created a traditional MVS dataset for each
> global variable.

​I was trying to avoid that. Creating a UNIX file is significantly faster
than creating a z/OS data set. ​

> Depending on your number of variables and update frequency, this may or
> may not be the best solution but it works in our environment.
>
> ​<snip>

​Thanks for the example code.

As an aside, I had to create a variant of your MPF2REXX. It is identical,
but has TSO=NO to create a non-TSO server. The reason is because I tried
using MPF2REXX to issue alert specific TSO users when specific batch jobs
start (message IEF403I). The production control person at night likes this
because she prints a list of critical path jobs to be run that night. When
she gets the TSO message, she marks the job off the list. The problem is
that there is a maximum of 8 TSO servers. And the way she schedules the
jobs, about 10 take off all at the same time. This results in some of the
message for a tracked job to not be sent because there is no server
available. I created the new program to invoke the REXX program in a
non-TSO server, of which there are 64.​

​I simply use the axrcmd() to do a z/OS console SEND command instead of a
TSO SEND command, which is what was being used in CA-OPS/MVS. I really
don't much care for this processing, but she's been doing it that way for
years and it comforts her. Because she is the last of the production
people, I figure that I need to make her job as simple as I can for her.​

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/

Maranatha! <><