On 10/15/2016 7:56 AM, Barbara Nitz wrote:
When we started working with our z13, IBM recommended to use the integrated
console(s) that are defined as HMCS to z/OS. So we put in the definition and
managed to IPL the first system in each sysplex with the HMCS console instead
of Operating System Messages console, which is hard to handle.

Today I had a rude awakening when I attempted to IPL a second system using the
HMCS console. The console would not activate or stopped working after NIP
messages were through. Fortunately this was a sysplex, so I could do the rest
of the startup from my SDSF console. Then I went reading about HMCS.

Can someone please confirm that my current understanding of HMCSs is correct?
1. One and only one HMCS can be specified in each sysplex. (If not, how do I
assign  a name to it?)
2. I can vary that console offline, and I can delete the console definition as
a whole.
3. Once an HMCS was active in the sysplex, it will stay assigned to that system
it was first activated on.
4. There is no way to 'move' the HMCS to a different system. (If not, how do I
do it?)

Thanks in advance,
Barbara

Guten tag Barbara,

I found this forum post, which says you can have one HMCS console per z/OS image (WTW). https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/IBMRedbooksSystemz/entry/z_os_v2r1_technical_updates_hmc_integrated_3270_console_hmcs?lang=en

Check out these lines:

No CONSOLxx definitions are needed for the NIP usage
Once NIP is over, the HMCS console can no longer be used if there are no CONSOLxx definitions for it

Do you have the CONSOLxx on the failing system?

Regards,
Tom Conley