From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Conley
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: HMCS consoles

On 10/15/2016 10:22 AM, Barbara Nitz wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
>> I found this forum post, which says you can have one HMCS console per
>> z/OS image (WTW).
>
> I have this in my (shared) CONSOLxx:
> CONSOLE DEVNUM(HMCS) NAME(HMCS) AUTH(MASTER) ROUTCODE(ALL)
>         INTIDS(Y) LEVEL(ALL) UNKNIDS(Y)
>
> I had assumed that this definition would give me one HMCS per system in the
> 4-way sysplex, but that does not seem to be the case:
> D C,F,CN=HMCS
> CNZ4100I 16.02.52 CONSOLE DISPLAY 102
> CONSOLES MATCHING COMMAND: D C,F,CN=HMCS
> MSG:CURR=0    LIM=2000 RPLY:CURR=15   LIM=99    SYS=KFW2     PFK=00
> HMCS      TYPE=HMCS     STATUS=STDBY-xxx4
>           DEFINED=(xxx4)
>           MATCHED=(xxx4)
>    ATTRIBUTES ON xxx4
>       AUTH=(MASTER)    CMDSYS=*            NBUF=0        SUPSBY=Y
>       DEV=NONE         LOGON=OPTIONAL      USERID=N/A
>       MFORM=(M)        AREA=(Z,A)          PFKTAB=*DEFAULT
>       USE=FC  DEL=RD   RTME=2    RNUM=5    SEG=19    CON=N
>       LEVEL=(ALL)
>       MONITOR=(NONE)                       INTIDS=Y  UNKNIDS=Y
>       ROUT=(ALL)
>       MSCOPE=(*ALL)
>
> In a 3 or 4-way sysplex, I see no way to tell z/OS to use *one* HMCS per
> *system*, much less how to specify which system should have which HMCS
> console assigned if I were to specify a different name (which I am not sure
> that I can, hence my question).
>
> This was the first system to be IPL'd on the z13, and I am unable to
> open a second HMCS in that sysplex. No attention generating thing I
> can think of gets me the HMCS to the other system. (And it would work
> on a z196 with z/OS 2.1, so it is not the old hardware.)
>
> In the other sysplex there was one system that was IPL'd on  the z13 using
> the HMCS, but we had to go back to the old hardware. This time around we
> moved a different system from that sysplex to the z13, so that console named
> HMCS was still defined to the other system. While the HMCS worked fine during
> NIP for the second system, it stopped working once NIP was over. I am able to
> delete that HMCS console definition, but now no HMCS console works. I did not
> see a way to get *the* HMCS attached to a different 'owning' system.
>
> So FWIW, I very much doubt that one HMCS per z/OS image can be activated. It
> seems to me (from what I remember when I did console support, admittedly
> before console restructure) that we are talking about one HMCS console per
> sysplex.
>
> That's why I am asking here.
>
> Best regards, Barbara

Barbara,

I think the NAME is messing you up.  It needs to be unique in the SYSPLEX.
Here is the example from that first document I sent you.

For example, you could define the HMCS similar to:
CONSOLE DEVNUM(HMCS)
         NAME(&SYSNAME.HMCS)

I think if you add the SYSNAME to the HMCS name, you should be OK.

Regards,
Tom Conley

 Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only
for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message
in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately.