OK.  How about 2 REXX commands.
The first REXX command reads SYS*.PARMLIB members, parses out the DSN
and Vol/SMS ignoring syntax errors, and checks each DSN for APF
authorization.
The second REXX command read any JCL member, parses out the steplib
DSNs and Volumes ignoring syntax errors, and checks each DSN for APR
authorization.
This would be useful for any site or product that has z/OS APF libraries.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Clark Morris
<cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> [Default] On 20 Nov 2016 08:47:04 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
> charl...@mcn.org (Charles Mills) wrote:
>
>>Thanks @Gil, I think you get where I am trying to go with this.
>>
>>It's not that I don't know how to use TESTAUTH or think TESTAUTH is giving
>>me the wrong answer. But now what? We say "one or more of your datasets is
>>apparently not authorized" and the customer says "WE TOLD YOU THEY ARE ALL
>>AUTHORIZED!" Now what does the poor support tech do? Say "Issue a 'D
>>PROG,APF' and check all the libraries -- it's not rocket surgery!"
>
> It seems like a generic module that chases the chains would be useful
> to a number of vendors and even for Roll your own code.  I know that I
> was enraged on earlier versions with the JCL message symbol not
> defined in procedure mess and justified the effort to go to MVS SP
> 1.3.2 or 1.3.3 because that was the version.release.modification level
> that had the change telling you which symbol wasn't defined in the
> procedure.  In this case chasing down errant libraries when the
> installing groups isn't responsible for setting up APF authorization
> can be interesting.
>
> Clark Morris
>>
>>Would YOU buy a product from a vendor that talked to you like that?
>>
>>Charles

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA