<snip>I'll accept that as almost true.  But BLDL (I assume LOAD uses
that or something similar) needs to find the directories to
search.  I'm trying to RTRM and understand.  I guess it can
examine DEBAMLNG bytes in DEBEXTNM to find the first extent
of each catenand which must contain the directory.
</snip>

BLDL uses the information in the DEB to determine which data sets'
directories are to be checked.

<snip>
But that's not enough to really identify the data set; only
unit and address.  Bummer.  The pain customers endure
because storage was so expensive a half-century ago that
32 bytes couldn't be spared for flags indicating which
extents belong to authorized data sets.
</snip>

I believe that most would use RDJFCB to find the data set name(s)
comprising a concatenation. The DEB can be traversed (not trivially, but
not overly hard) to correlate.

I'm sure many on this list could write the sort of program/exec that would
solve Charles' quandry, taking as input the JCL and using things like
CSVAPF and IsItMgd.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design