On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:01:43 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

>I don't want to sound warlike--especially in today's political climate--but
>vendors have always expected customers to diagnose their own APF problems.
>'Tact' is often a matter of delivering uncomfortable news gently and
>empathetically. As others have said, the requirements for APF concatenation
>were invented to protect the customer, not to annoy or vex.

The particular implementation protects the customer from nothing.
The convention of LINKLIST which determines APF status from the
individual data set rather than the ensemble as STEPLIB does
provides sufficient integrity protection and greater flexibility.
(But no better diagnostic information for Charles.)

Startool?  ISVs are understandably reluctant to require their customers
to purchase a fourth-party product.

-- gil