In my time working from home for 6 years, I experienced both ends of the
spectrum and can see both sides of the discussion.   One situation was that
everyone was geographically dispersed, we collaborated via email, sometime,
conference call etc,  whatever fit the subject and the size of the group.
Since everyone was in the same situation, it seemed to work ok.    A differnt
situation was where I was the odd person remote, and everyone else was
centrally located.  I was just one voice on a speakerphone in a meeting room
filled with people,  and that didn't work out so well.  There was also a lot of
face to face exchange due to the nature of the environment (sort of a lab
setting).  Luckily I had a couple of good co-workers that kept me informed and
pointed me to the correct people for information.

Dana