Having worked both at home and at the office, my opinions are:

1. Meetings at the coffee point (and other places) is very big opportunity
to exchange ideas, thoughts, opinions.
- This is true, as long as you have a motivated/enthusiastic tech team.
Otherwise, they will talk about ANYTHING other than work (not that it
wouldn't add any value though - being brazilian, I tend to value a lot
people's inter-relationships).

2. It is much easier to see and control how the emploee spends a time - is
he really busy as declared? No timesheet replace it.
- I've never been a manager, so I don't really know, but I have worked with
managers that didn't care about seeing employees (not even close to top
contributors) on facebook/youtube in the office during regular work hours.
And I also have worked with people that are observably WAY more productive
working from home than at the office. That's, in fact, my case, although I
recognize the value of being at the office.
I agree that if you need watch an employee that closely, you simply hired
the wrong person.

3. Some people do work more effectively when they have no external
"disturbants" (a dog, neighbour, postman, favourite comedy on TV...)
- I found it more distubing to be at the office (too loud, too many people
walking around, too "available" for management queries, etc ), than at
home. It's a matter of letting people at home (and yourself, of course)
know that you're just physically there, but you're simply OFF for
everything.

*Lucas Rosalen*
Emails: rosalen.lu...@gmail.com / *lrosa...@pl.ibm.com
<lrosa...@br.ibm.com>*