--- peter.far...@broadridge.com wrote:

From:         "Farley, Peter x23353" <peter.far...@broadridge.com>
To:           IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] git, z/OS and COBOL
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:19:38 +0000

Steve,

Once you start using git (or for that matter any of the *ix-based source
repository utilities) for mainframe source maintenance, you stop using IEBUPDTE
(or any other sequence-number-based source update process) and start using the
"patch" utility.  The input to "patch" is the output from "diff" (when properly
configured with options, as is done inside of git and other source repository
utilities).

The "diff" and "patch" utilities could care less what is on each line.  They
just compare lines and try to find the maximal number of non-differences (sets
of matching lines) between the minimal number of difference lines.  It's an
art, but it mostly works.

Any kind of sequence numbering in the source lines defeats "diff" entirely and
everything after an insert looks like it changed.

So if you plan to move to git or one of its predecessors, plan to eliminate all
sequence numbering in the source when you first move it into the repository.

<snippage>

So how does one merge fixes into source if the "source" numbering is removed?
The fixes may issue delete of lines, addition of lines and replace of lines and
there may be multiple delta decks to be applied anytime one wants to do changes
to the source. This is not a spec I'm providing, this is a requirement I would
have to live with.

>From what you say, diff and patch will not know or understand where the source
>being supplied to update the original source goes.

So, I don't think your method is going to fly with source coming from a vendor
that has to be updated via IEBUPDTE, nor is it going to fly with one of our
groups that uses IEBUPDTE to update their source...

This is the kind of show stopper that we need to find a solution for, because
it will be the DEATH of the POC. That is, git will be DBA -- Dead Before
Arrival if there is no way to solve this.

Regards,
Steve Thompson