My comments are on the bottom because it made more sense to put them after the
question(s).

--- cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

From:         Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
To:           IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] git, z/OS and COBOL
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2017 21:56:34 -0300

[Default] On 10 Oct 2017 10:48:59 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
peter.far...@broadridge.com (Farley, Peter x23353) wrote:

>Frank,

<SNIP>

>Alternatively, do your programmers really make any sensible real-world use of
>COBOL line numbers in columns 1-6, or is it just "tradition"?  After all, no
>one has had to use a card sorter to re-order a program source whose card tray
>was dropped on the floor for some decades.

Vendors which supply COBOL source probably use IEBUPDTE or their own
proprietary means of updating (and maybe even their own library
system) that depends on sequence numbers in columns 1 - 6.  In the
1990s I had to deal with vendor source that was updated by their
system using sequence numbers.  As I recall, JES2 and JES3 source
maintenance used IEBUPDTE and sequence numbers in 73 - 80 back in the
1980s when I was doing SMP/E work (I was at an installation that went
from HASP to JES3 to JES2).

Clark Morris
<snippage>

And as I recall, that was still true of JES2/3 macros at OS/390 V2R4. I haven't
paid any attention to them in that way since then. I haven't touched much in
JES2 or JES3 since I stopped working on OBS/ACS/WYLBUR.

Paul:

Your question had to do with manually doing IEBUPDTE commands. The users where
I am probably do, but I honestly don't know. The ISV(s) that provide source
maint; I have no clue how they do theirs.

If you need me to answer anything else on this, have some patience, I probably
won't get back to this until next week when I am back in my office.

Regards,
Steve Thompson