Thanks Jesse,

That's great stuff! The README.TXT gave me directions on how to setup a Jenkins slave on z/OS. We're going to use this starting next week.

On 12/10/2017 11:28 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
Today LinkedIn news note points to an article on Git for z/OS by Rosalind
Radcliffe, who has been speaking at SHARE for some time on its virtues. This
very long URL goes through LinkedIn.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/git-zos-development-how-do-you-build-now-can-rosalind-radcliffe/?trk=eml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-recommended_articles-7-PBYN&midToken=AQFJkRF5baAZ4A&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=3GEOaGOlxTtnY1

.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-543-6132 Office ⇐=== NEW
robin...@sce.com

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: git, z/OS and COBOL

On 11/10/2017 9:48 PM, Pew, Curtis G wrote:
I'd like to run into the problems before the applications people have a chance
to hit it so we can head that all off.

And I'd love to know the answers to this before the POC dies. So I am very
interested in this thread.
I think all the discussion of line numbering is a bit of a red herring. You can
still use git on files that have line numbers. It may have to keep track of
“changes” that don’t really change anything, and it may require additional
storage and processing, but git still works.

In most cases line numbers imbedded in files are relics of older technologies,
and you’re better off eliminating them. But if there’s a case where you do
still need them, it won’t prevent current technology from doing its thing.

(In case you couldn’t tell, I’m a big fan of git. I don’t think anyone
who embraces it will regret it.)
Indeed! If you can ditch those relics all the better. I'm a big fan of git too.
It's revolutionized our workflows on z/OS. We use bitbucket and Jira from
Atlassian which integrate beautifully. We use agile and raise a Jira for each
feature branch. This gives us visibility to every line of code that has been
changed for each feature. We do code reviews on pull requests which is great
for QA. Code reviews find bugs early and we've found find more bugs than
systems testing.