On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:55:49 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>I seriously doubt that; it would generate a Unit Exception trying to read the
>second record of the member. You're clearly misinterpreting something.
>
>There is a EOF after the directory and an EOF after each member.  There is no
>EOF in the middle of a member.

Makes sense.

Now, just curious, what about a block with a data length of 4, where the data
are a BDW with a count of 4?

Also, just curious, I understand that on tape a block <18 (? still?) is bypassed
as a noise record.  But it's possible that with RECFM=VB the last block might,
by happenstance, consist of as few as 8 bytes (BDW=8; RDW=4).  How do
tape drivers deal with this?  Poorly?  With RECFM=VBS, a null segment could
be used for padding.

-- gil