From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of scott Ford
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Codepage

We are using EZACICTR..we build a message inside our STC and convert EBCDIC
data to ASCII data based on a Parm, I.e.; codepage=uk ...uk is in side the
EZACICTR the entry is selected data converted, then encrypted and a
socket-write issued to a Java server. Part of our message build for example
maybe create a list of RACF userids, at the very end we add a '~' to tell the
Java server that's the end of data. We have done used the COBOL codepage 1140
for EBCDIC data..the Java server is using codepage 437. All characters are good
no problems. Using a different EBCDIC codepage from EZACICTR yields a tilde on
z/OS but not on the Java server..hence the problem..

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Scott

On Mar 6, 2018, 1:16 PM -0500, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>, wrote:
> Don't confuse glyphs with code points. ~ is perhaps a delimiter for humans
> who are perceiving glyphs visually but not for software that is processing
> code points in binary. It would facilitate clearer thinking to say "we are
> using x'something' (what? My poor old yellow card does not even have ~) as a
> delimiter, and then translating that to ASCII before sending it to software
> which expects the message to be delimited with x'something'."
>
> Charles

attachments from your system.