> Then, if you are willing to buy hardware as David Boyes outlined, you can
> perhaps do it that way.  I have no knowledge about these products, and we
> have not tested that approach, so I do not know whether or not it works.  If
> someone has tried it, I'd be (academically, I'll admit) interesting in knowing

The “faketape” support for the ZPDT and friends is basically the same
technology as the OMA/2, but done completely in software, so if you want to
give it a whirl, find someone with a ZPDT. AWSTAPE files (a volume is a
directory with files containing the same data as on physical carts and some
metadata)  were invented for the OMA/2, which looks like a really long 3422
volume to the host. The flexCUB box is able to emulate all sorts of devices,
disk/tape/3270/etc. They’re really handy if you need to handle some obscure
volume format on an older CPU - we recently reanimated a 4341 using one for all
the I/O devices on that system.

We bought a physical OMA/2 long long ago and kept running with a bus/tag to
FICON converter. BusTech also made a similar box, but I don’t remember now
whether there was ever an ESCON version. The OMA/2 supports CD and DVD media,
albeit with a few manual hoops to select and mount the right “volume” on the
emulated device. It’s one of the major reasons I wish ZPDT supported an
emulated 3494 library controller device so I could finally retire that box.

Today, I’d probably just try to find a desktop SCSI 3590, attach it to a
stand-alone PC, and use the tape image utilities provided with Hercules to
create a 3590 from AWSTAPE files on the DVD. Then, apply service as normal (or
at least till IBM decides to remove the tape support code from SMP/E).

It’d be really slick if IBM reanimated the OMA/2 device with a native FICON
adapter, even if it was just for this purpose. The ability to emulate a range
of mainframe devices on commodity hardware has been really, really useful over
the years.