From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:52 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Sungard question - floor z/OS supports UNIX environment?

Yes, I know that I should ask Sungard this question. But I must work through
our D.R. Coordinator (in-house) who is being a bit obstinate about asking.

I have an in-house written UNIX program. The reason I say that it is UNIX is
because it is designed to be run from the UNIX shell and writes its output to
"stdout" and "stderr", rather than using DCBs.

Does anyone out there know if the "z/OS floor system" which Sungard provides to
do restores has UNIX completely available? That is, can I put my program in a
z/OS UNIX file on the floor system and run it? And I guess that I should also
ask if the "normal" z/OS UNIX utilities, in particular "awk", are available as
well.

We used to have a product called DBS. This product would generate the ADRDSSU
job streams to restore our disk volumes. Where it was useful was that it would
pick up an existing volser pattern and use those volumes as the "restore to"
volsers in the generated JCL. This really saved time over us finding and typing
in these volsers in the restore JCL by hand. I have a UNIX program which would
make selecting the DASD volsers onto which to restore easier to find. And I
could then use "awk", or maybe REXX, to generate the ADRDSSU job JCL from this
list.

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown