If you do a GETMAIN for your save area then it's trivial to put your local
variables after it and, voila, recursion. There were lots of prolog/epilog
macro pairs floating around independent of the control structure macro packages.

Yes, one set of macros for structured assembler was listed in SHARE PROGRAM
LIBRARY AGENCY User's Guide and Catalog of Programs 1977 EDITION:

360D-99.0.009
     PROGRAM COLLECTION: STRUCTURED PROGRAMMING, UTILITIES,
     TRANSLATORS, SIMULATOR, HASP MODIFICATIONS, AND MACROS

     AUTHOR:  DONALD S. HIGGINS

     DIRECT TECHNICAL INQUIRIES TO:
           MR. DONALD S. HIGGINS
           B-3
           FLORIDA POWER CORPORATION
           P.O. BO X 140 42
           ST. PETERSBURG, FL 33733

     DESCRIPTION - THE FOLLOWING CCLLECTION OF PROGRAMS ARE
     INCLUDED IN A SINGLE DISTRIBUTION PACKAGE:

     GENERAL PURPOSE ASSEMBLER MACROS - SUBENTRY + SUBEXIT,
     STANDARD LINKAGE WITH REENTRANT OPTIONS; EDIT PACKED DATA
     USING A MASK; EQUAL, COMMONLY USED EQU'S; PERFORM, PENTRY,
     PEXIT - STRUCTURED PROGRAMMING BLOCK CONCATENATION USING NO
     REGISTERS; IF, ELSE, FI - STURCTURED PROGRAMMING ALTERNATE
     BLOCK SELECTION; DOCASE, CASE, ESAC, ESACOD - STRUCTURED
     PROGRAMMING MULTIPLE ALTERNATE BLOCK SELECTION; ACCEPT +
     DISPLAY SIMPLIFIED I/O; DCWV - DEFINE V TYPE ADDRESS FOR
     DYNAMIC SUBROUTINES.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3