> However, there are other less painful ways of marking horses.  Some
> endurance riders get pet ID tags and braid them into the mane.



I haven't seen a horse get freeze branded but I am told, FWIW, that it is 
not painful.  I have seen horses get hot branded and have had to deal with 
them afterwards.  This does hurt, not surprisingly, but they seemed to be 
fine within about a week.  It's not supposed to be a deep burn.  They sure 
were suspicious about any activity around their hips for a longer while 
after (few weeks).  The owner of these horses wanted all the horses branded 
as two year olds - just as we were starting them - so - just as we were 
trying to earn some trust - bam!.  The trainer I was working for was really 
grumpy about the whole deal.  I have helped with tatooing racehorses, too, 
and that doesn't seem to bother them much.  The tatoo set up is like a 
twitch with the space to put the tatoo built in (if that makes sense). The 
whole tatoo is preset in a bar thingy. So, they are twitched, the ink 
applied, tatoo needles go in, done.  After awhile the tatoo fades and gets 
blurry.  The young ladies I work with get tatoos every once in awhile 
(GROSS!) and they say it doesn't hurt much as long as it isn't over a bone.

Just remember that all of that is 30 year old information.  (Well, except 
for the human tatoos).

The huge problem with all of these is that it doesn't give the "finder" a 
way to contact the owner.  No one brands their home phone number onto their 
horse.  People move/get new phones.  My horses are microchipped but not 
everyone checks.  However, if they do check, they will get a current phone 
number, an alternate contact's phone number and the vet's number (in my case 
I just put in my work number).  If I move, I just call up the company and 
change the information.  When my dog ran off in panic over the fireworks, I 
called them, checked on her information and they put an alert in my record. 
My horses were pretty grumpy about the microchip but it didn't last long 
(swishing tails, grumpy ears etc) - it's not much worse than a vaccine.  It 
is about the same sized needle as the needle used for collecting blood when 
you donate.

Penny 

Reply via email to