I'd like note my agreement with to the comments made by Dave Crocker.

And I would like to suggest that there is perhaps yet another aspect of
this debate:

The IETF recently made a strong moral statement against CALEA.  That
statement carried weight; it was noticed; it had impact.

And that statement carried weight precisely because it was unique - it was
a statement of morality that carried weight because such statements are
reserved for the worst of the worst.

If the IETF engages in routine non-acceptance of "informational" documents
on the basis of non-technical concerns the IETF will, I believe, lose its
clear and loud voice when that voice is most needed to be heard.

                --karl--