When botanizing in the UK and able to recognise that a plant is an 'Avens' 
(Geum sp.) the situation is fairly simple.  Near to where I live it will be 
Geum urbanum.
In other parts of the UK, in marshes, stream-sides, damp woods etc. it may 
well be Geum rivale.  During survey work in Wales I came across both 
species together and what is known as a "hybrid swarm" being able to 
recognise the hybrid Geum rivale x urbanum lnown as Geum x intermedium.   
The swarms show a large range of variation with "back-crosses"....

Let us return to Kashmir.   I must admit to having taken little notice of 
Geums in the Himalaya at lower elevations, as they are of rather 'weedy' 
appearance, resembling Geum urbanum which I was familiar with the UK.   I 
did take notice of Geum elatum, which is common in Kashmir @ 3-4000m in 
subalpine and alpine meadows - so not something to be found in Srinagar.

*But there has been confusion with the Geum or perhaps Geums at lower 
elevations.*

'Flowers of the Himalaya'  Geum roylei is found @ 1800-3600m in forests & 
shrubberies from Afghanistan to Central Nepal.  *They say "very similar to 
G.urbanum found in Europe".*

According to Stewart *Geum roylei Boille* (syn. G.roylei Wall, G.urbanum 
*Hk*. in FBI) is common in the temperate zone of Kashmir & 2-4000m which he 
says is "taller & much weedier than G.elatum".

He also says *G.urbanum L.* is common in temperate zone of Kashmir, chiefly 
in the temperate zone @ 2100-3900 which he describes as "taller and more 
weedy than G.roylei".

*Flippantly, perhaps G.roylei and G.urbanum can be distinguished on their 
height & 'weediness' (the latter being rather subjective)!?*

Seriously though, I do have a set of images of Geum urbanum taken in the UK 
(albeit that they may vary from the forms growing in Kashmir and will check 
in case this has been recognised as varietal or subspecies level) or now 
submerged into G.roylei, which might be worth posting for comparative 
purposes.

I also have a set of images of Geum elatum.

*I see from a quick look at other postings of Geum on eFI there is only 
G.roylei.   There are no posts for Geum elatum, so would be worthwhile to 
add images of this lovely species - though have only seen the yellow forms.*


*On the basis of Stewart, both sets of images taken by Aarti would be of 
G.roylei but need to see the latest thinking as to whether both G.roylei 
and G.urbanum are found in the Himalaya.   Part of the confusion has arisen 
as a result of the species name urbanum being used by both Hooker and 
Linnaeus.*

*I note that in 'Plants of Gulmarg' Naqshi, Singh & Koul (1984) they only 
list G.urbanum L. as common - no mention of G.roylei*

Further East in the Himalaya there is Geum sikkimense.


On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:30:57 AM UTC+1, Aarti S. Khale wrote:

> Dear friends,
> Posting after a very long while.
> Wild flower seen in Srinagar on 24th April,16.
> Is it Geum Species?
> Aarti
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"efloraofindia" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to