On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 6:29 PM Kamil Tekiela <tekiela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the reasoning behind the name? I can't find it explained in the
> RFC. What about other alternatives like is_json or validate_json?

The name json_validate makes most sense to me; it groups itself together
nicely with the other json_* API functions. I think is_json is what was
originally proposed but besides being then inconsistent with the rest of
the JSON API function naming, consider most of the is_* functions are for
checking types (and some for file properties), not validation.

But on the function, the other question which remains for me is whether
returning boolean is the right thing to do at all. It seems obviously
intuitive it should, returning true for valid and false for invalid JSON
but then if you consider you're still going to be in the situation of
calling json_last_error() if you want to know why invalid JSON was invalid
and in particular you might not expect the "last error" to have changed
just from an attempt to check a string. How can there be an error when by
definition you weren't trying to do anything except check the validity of
some unknown data? Not sure what the answer is there...curious what other
people's views are on that. I don't think throwing an exception on invalid
JSON is the right answer in any case.