Derick Rethans wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Graham Kelly wrote:

However, this is ONLY because I do not feel PHP 5.3 is the place to put
this. However, I do have to agree with Ilia here that PHP 6 is too far away
and it would be nice to have this feature long before then. I would however,
be very for adding something similar to this patch in a PHP 5.4 release. I
don't see why a PHP 5.4 release can't be done relativly quickly (Like 6-12
months) by just making it more of a minor internal update but something that
could have large impacts on user code (syntax changes for type hints).

With this logic, we got a PHP 5.3 as well, and with the same logic there will be a PHP 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 and we never get to 6. Instead of putting stuff in PHP 5.4 (which at the moment is *not* planned), why not focus all effort on 6 to make sure it comes out faster? And although this feature is useful, it's not something that I would *really-need-right-now*.

Yes please to PHP6!
Although I suspect there is still a debate on retaining PHP5.x as being 'ascii native' and PHP6 being 'unicode native' so new features end up having to be 'back ported'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL