Hi All,

My apologies for the intrusion, I'll keep this brief.

In many discussions over the past few months there has been talk about what
the community at large needs. Pierre said just earlier today:

"I would also say it us time for us to get back in sync with the
communities needs. I am not talking about the last days RFCs but in
general."

The other point that comes up is the difficulty in reaching a large portion
of the community. They don't come to conferences, they don't sit on this
list, they don't go to user groups. They work with PHP for months or years,
but the rest of the "community" doesn't even know who they are. I believe
Rasmus has mentioned this on a few occasions.

So my suggestion is simple, let's ask them: What they want, What they need,
how they installed PHP (source, rpm, deb, provided by hosting provider,
Zend Server), etc. Let's create a survey, and link to it prominently on
php.net. I considered just writing a survey myself, but even if everyone I
knew tweeted it I'd still lack the reach to hit those outside the
traditional community.

While this is clearly not a suggestion to change PHP, i'll write this up in
RFC format if there's interest. Should give people an opportunity to
discuss questions and such.

thanks for your time
paul

--