On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Christopher Jones <
christopher.jo...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 02/20/2013 12:00 PM, Paul Reinheimer wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My apologies for the intrusion, I'll keep this brief.
>>
>> In many discussions over the past few months there has been talk about
>> what
>> the community at large needs. Pierre said just earlier today:
>>
>> "I would also say it us time for us to get back in sync with the
>> communities needs. I am not talking about the last days RFCs but in
>> general."
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> My thesis is the other way round.  More people in the community need
> to become PHP core developers.  This is historically how PHP
> development has occurred, since nobody has idle time to adopt projects
> they are not 100% behind.
>
> Increasing user involvement is easier (and more often) said than done.
> I'd prefer to see effort spent mentoring, rather than running surveys.
>
> I do have a lot of reservations about a survey.  But if you do run
> one, I'm sure I'll look at the results.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> christopher.jo...@oracle.com  http://twitter.com/ghrd
> Newly updated, free PHP & Oracle book:
> http://www.oracle.com/**technetwork/topics/php/**
> underground-php-oracle-manual-**098250.html<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/php/underground-php-oracle-manual-098250.html>
>

> --

I agree that we need more core devs (myself included), but I think it's
worth remembering that most PHP developers are not programmers who would be
comfortable working in ANSI C.  The point of a survey would be to guage
what PHP users want.  Whether or not we choose to act on that would be up
to the actual core devs, but at least we would have some helpful data on
what the average PHP developer would like to see.

We could probably mitigate your concern (and please correct me if I'm wrong
on this assumption) by making it clear in the RFC that these survey results
are completely non-binding and intended for informational purposes only.