Pierre Joye wrote:
hi,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

I was in a van with my son-in-law yesterday and we got around to discussing
websites and the like. I run his sites, but HE uses Joomla, so although it's
PHP he has no interest in the language as such as long as Joomla works. So
this morning I though 'What ARE people using with PHP?" expecting to see a
large chunk of the 90 odd % of websites actually using PHP to be using
something to hide that, and got something of a surprise ...
http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_overview/content_management/all
makes interesting reading, and so while I was anticipating that a large
chunk of users would be excluded from 'PHP' related questions, the reverse
seems to be the truth?

We have discussed that hundred of times in the past. However let me
try to compare with other mainstream products, in an understandable
way:

a company A delivers materials to a cell manufacturer  > The
manufacturer sells ready to be used cells to end users. End users do
not care if the cell use a chip from Company A or B as long as it
works.

the manufacturer reports needs&feedback to the company A, based on its
customers feedback and needs

PHP is the company A, Joomla/Wordpress&co are the cell manufacturers.

But the point is that apart perhaps for Wordpress, the 'cell manufacturers' are possibly only a very small percentage of the PHP user base? The piece of information we are missing is the split of users between 'cell manufacturer' type users and those that are using PHP direct? What part of the 68% of people 'not using a cms system' are using some other 'cell manufacturer' and what part are just using PHP ... but even then, where a 'cell manufacturer' is no longer around, the end user needs help from PHP to port their website ... which is were a number of my own customers are trapped.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL