On 14/03/15 11:08, Lester Caine wrote:
> Lets simply get the ground rules on naming conventions and what is
> reserved and the like to start the path to bigger things later?

I'll ask yet again a question that I keep asking but not seeing anybody
explaining. Just what is being added which PHP5 will actually baulk at?
I've been assuming 'the type hints' and that it is adding these which
will make a current library unusable with PHP5 systems? All of the
discussion on just HOW the type hints are handled is secondary to the
basic breaking of the code base? Once a third party has added type hints
we have to handle the results, which may be different depending on how
the 'user' of type hint expects it to be interpreted? Weak or Strict
will fail in different ways? But of more interest, just what happens if
I pick up a library that has been 'improved' by the inclusion of strict
types but I'm still working with no typing at all? Or rather legacy type
checking as part of the code base.

The code base I will be running myself with PHP7 is PHP5.4 with E_STRICT
etc. clean code. That is what the test bed is comparing and with what
has been added so far the code simply works, and I expect THAT to be the
case but I keep seeing things which suggest I will HAVE to make changes
to the PHP5.4 code for it to run clean on PHP7 by the time we get to RC
stage?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL