On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 13:33, Andrey Andreev <n...@devilix.net> wrote:

> I'm all for a modern look and all, but let's please keep the news on
> the index page. Personally, I only go to php.net to look for the news,
> changelogs and to search the docs. This image suggests that I'd need
> to do an extra click for each of those things and I'm sure I wouldn't
> be the only one unhappy about that.

I agree with not needing a splashy home page (that makes me think 1990s,
"click to enter", rather than modern), although I'd point out you already
need to click through for two of the three tasks you name. Maybe there
should actually be a section on the homepage with links to the main manual
sections, as well as the most recent news stories?

In general, though, I quite like the current site design, and would much
rather effort was spent iteratively improving it, rather than throwing it
away and implementing a new set of bugs.

My personal annoyance is the search result page; specifically, that the
"Full website search" link appears in the sidebar like it's an
afterthought, rather than prominently with the search results, or as a
separate results tab or something.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins