‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, February 4, 2019 2:32 PM, Andrey Andreev <n...@devilix.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I could nitpick on most of the proposed plan, but I really only wanted
> to reply to this:
>
> > > -   A new home page, not a "news" page, but a page simply showing the PHP
> > > Logo, a code example maybe and
> > >     the download link [3].
> > >

> > > [...]
> > > [3]
> > > https://camo.githubusercontent.com/762e5d9fcaaa4ecf645343350a91929f99f452e9/68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f584477675261662e706e67
>
> I just hate those useless landing pages.
>
> Yes, it looks neat and clean, but after the initial "OMG so pretty"
> phase it just becomes annoying - noone cares about the code example
> and I for one never know what "Get Started" means. PHP isn't some
> consumer desktop software; nobody would just stumble upon php.net and
> "get started" with it, whatever that means ...
>
> I'm all for a modern look and all, but let's please keep the news on
> the index page. Personally, I only go to php.net to look for the news,
> changelogs and to search the docs. This image suggests that I'd need
> to do an extra click for each of those things and I'm sure I wouldn't
> be the only one unhappy about that.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrey.

The landing page is meant for the new comers to PHP, when people search for
php, the home page is the first to appear. it make sense to show a sample and a
straightforward button to get started with using PHP ( introduction,
installation and tutorial )

You can see the mock up repository for what the "Getting Started" page would
look like.

if you usually visit the website for documentation, you would just type
php.net/documentation in the url bar instead of php.net or php.net/blog for
changelogs and articles.