Hi!

> Like I said, I can see arguments both ways, but use as a command substitution
> operator is hardly a universal thing.

Nobody said it's "universal thing". Virtually nothing is "universal
thing" among over 9000 programming languages that exist. I just claimed
it's a common thing which reasonably experienced user have high chance
of encountering and recognizing.
Arguing that non-universality would be the reason to remove syntax from
PHP is like arguing we should remove the use of whitespace because some
languages have significant whitespace (like Python) and you can't google
whitespace (especially if you don't know the word "whitespace") so
clearly this is super-confusing and should be removed.

I don't mean this as a personal criticism on the RFC author, who clearly
took some thought about it and is entitled to his own opinions, but
arguments like this look a bit ridiculous to me. We have tons of stuff
to improve in PHP without messing with things that aren't broken and
don't need any improvement at all, and will have high BC costs.
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com