> On 5 Oct 2019, at 11:34, Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecate-backtick-operator-v2
>
> Reading the justifications, I must say I do not find them very
> convincing. Specifically:
>
>> * Alternative functions exist which are more descriptive, easily
> understood, and more readily searchable (for example, many common Google
> searches omit the “`” token entirely when searching).
>
> It is very easy to understand `` since it has analogues in other script
> languages, also searching for "php backtick" easily leads to PHP manual.
>
>> Backticks are visually easily confused with single quotes despite
> exhibiting radically different behaviour.
>
> In my font they are not even close. This sounds like calling to stop
> using letter O because it looks like 0. Maybe if it's a problem - use
> one of the many available programmer's fonts which solve such problems
> easily.
>
>> It could be considered unintuitive that single quoted strings do not
> support variable substitution, but single backticks do.
>
> This sounds like a non-sequitur - why a different syntactic construct
> would behave exactly like single quote?
>
>> It could be considered unintuitive that backticks already rely on the
> safe-mode and disabled-function settings for shell_exec
>
> Safe mode is dead, so I don't think it makes sense to address this.
>
> In general, the justifications look a bit thin, and very far from
> passing the bar that is necessary to justify BC break. Please note that
> "you have to read the manual to know all the options for a function" is
> not something unacceptable and certainly not grounds for removing the
> function.
>
> --
> Stas Malyshev
> smalys...@gmail.com
>
> --

Hi Stas, all,

I’m not overly for or against this change - I can see arguments both ways, but
please keep in mind that the “other languages” argument works both ways:

In php, shell/similar, ruby and perl, backticks are command substitution. This
surely due to shared influence.

In plenty of other languages they do very different things, from string
literals, to interpolation/templates, escaping, identifier quoting, or even
comments.

Like I said, I can see arguments both ways, but use as a command substitution
operator is hardly a universal thing.

Cheers

Stephen