Hi,

Am 04.10.2019 um 17:45 schrieb Mark Randall:
Hi Internals,

I put forward the following RFC "Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)" for discussion.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecate-backtick-operator-v2

I believe it is at least worth a discussion as to the pros and cons of deprecating this functionality, especially in light of the existence of better described and more well-known functions exhibiting identical behaviour.

Two more advantages of using shell_exec():

- you can override/mock shell_exec() in a namespace. You cannot do that with the "backtick operator". - in IDEs like PHPStorm, you can ctrl-click on the function name "shell_exec" to check what it does: see what the return value is, see a description, click the link to the manual. You can easily search for "other usages" (right-click "Find Usages"). You cannot do that with the "backtick operator".

Michael