Hi!

> On 6 Oct 2019, at 02:44, Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> Like I said, I can see arguments both ways, but use as a command
>> substitution operator is hardly a universal thing.
>
> Nobody said it's "universal thing”.

I never claimed anyone said it’s universal. I simply said it isn’t universal.

> Virtually nothing is "universal
> thing" among over 9000 programming languages that exist. I just claimed
> it's a common thing which reasonably experienced user have high chance
> of encountering and recognizing.

Ok, so of those 9000 programming languages how many use it for shell execution?
So far I’m aware of PHP, Perl, Ruby and Shell. I would argue that this means
those (first three) languages likely have a common inspiration from Shell, not
that the feature is “common” amongst programming languages.

> Arguing that non-universality would be the reason to remove syntax from
> PHP is like arguing we should remove the use of whitespace because some
> languages have significant whitespace (like Python) and you can't google
> whitespace (especially if you don't know the word "whitespace") so
> clearly this is super-confusing and should be removed.

Again, I wasn’t saying non-universality was “the reason” to remove the syntax.
My point was that if *you* claimed it’s “common” amongst programming languages
- and ignored that it’s used for *other, less dangerous* constructs in many
more languages than it’s used for shell execution.