Ok, then look only at Lazarus as IDE. Is the same on Win, Lin., Mac,
OS/2 and maybe other OSes. It have enough functionality as IDE? Then
is ok because is made in Object Pascal, use that poor  LCL (compared
to VCL), SynEdit and you already know ObjectPascal and I know is the
most viable option for you to go cross-platform.

I don't say you must copy Lazarus, I say it is possible even if
require an entirely rewrite of Jaledit. And can be the most successful
cross-platform IDE counting the number of existing users. Yes,
executable is huge but is statically linked because use a cross-
platform library - and this is the case for all cross-platform tools.
And that does not mean that it not offer full speed on the target OS.
Yes, Delphi is the fastest and efficient compiler under Windoze but I
would like to have this discussion again when Delphi will have a cross-
platform option (and maybe then, you will offer Jaledit cross-platform
but I'm afraid that will be after 2 years).
This is the reason I said that it depends on you. But I understand if
you will choose not to go cross-platform.

About the error from Win98 and If you try to change colors of
highlighter you get a window saying that an error occured in your
application, offering you to continue, close, restart or send a bug
report. In win98, if you continue, you will obtain soon a crash. No
clue about error. Another error in Win98 is when you launch compiler
too many times and when scroll the text up and down many times, you
get a crash without a warning or same error window without a clue
about the error. So, for all of this users, Jaledit is still buggy.

A solution for me was to use a stable editor/IDE for that OS. Now I'm
trying to modify a stable cross-platform editor (in C++ and QT4.6) for
JAL. Is working nice in Linux and WinXP/Vista and should work nice
under MAC and everywhere QT was ported stable. The only part OS
dependent will be the USB uploader. But I'm slow in doing this so, you
can be faster with a cross-platform Jaledit.

Best regards,
Vasi(funlw65)

On Feb 10, 5:23 am, Sunish Issac <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM, funlw65 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
>
> > The only chance to get fast a Jaledit crossplatform (Windoze, Linux,
> > Mac [also for Linux Mac, both ppc and i386], FreeBSD, WinCE, OS2 Warp
> > [a gift for Rob], etc.) is to use Freepascal (2.4.0 version is great
> > but is too fresh so, maybe 2.2.4), Lazarus (a copy of Delphi IDE for
> > Freepascal), and Synedit 1.3 (incorporated inside Lazarus) version. A
> > bit of downgrade if Sunish use Synedit 2.x (He said that Synedit is
> > based entirely on VCL but Lazarus have LCL instead, on which Synedit
> > 1.1 was ported and enhanced - 1.3 version now).
> > One problem is that Lazarus is still beta (stable only on Linux) but
> > an application can be done successfully.
> > The advantage is that you need to develop only on one O.S. (the one
> > which you are accustomed to it) and then, you can compile the project
> > everywhere.
>
> Its not just synedit that I use, there are many components from JVCL and
> Jedi code library which are not at all available in Lazarus. Also AFAIK
> Lazarus win32 exes are very huge and needs more optimization. So its again
> going to be a rewrite and in that case it can be in some other language too!
>
> > Another "problem' [:-D] is that this depends entirely on Sunish
> > decision (unless someone start a fork or a new project with same
> > interface...).
>
> > Personally I don't have much of problem if somebody copies the interface as
>
> long as its acknowledged :-)
>
> > Jaledit is crashing under Vista Home if I try to change the highlight
> > scheme. But this is an old behavior (happened also under Win98 with
> > older versions).
>
> > What's the message that you get ? I can test on win98 VM, but not on Vista
>
> Home.
>
>
>
> > Vasi(funlw65)
>
> > P.S. I know is hard for anyone to start a whole new project (and
> > learning a new programming environment) but if we want a crossplatform
> > IDE (and  Sunish want to play a major role on this) is time to start
> > it now (restart, in Sunish case). Later my be too late...
>
> > Might be true

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to