Let's consider the problem the other side !

Since I can't afford a KKKK$ tektronix or the like 100MHz oscilloscope, and
since owon PDS5022S could fit my budget (250-300$), what won't I be able to
do with such a scope (bandwidth: 25 MHz, 2 channels, 100MS/s, 8 bits
resolution) ? Can you give me some examples of experiments I won't be able
to monitor ? This would help me to discover my unknown needs...

Thanks
Seb

2010/3/5 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>

> Hi again,
>
>
> 2010/3/5 vasile surducan <[email protected]>
>
>> Seb,
>>
>> you are going too fast again, but that's because of your age... you'll
>> cure about it after 30.
>>
>
> If you mean after the age of 30, since I'm almost 33, I guess I'm incurable
> :)
>
>
>> The toy you have pointed at isn't an 1MS/sec, but 1MHz analogic bandwith
>> which is totally different.
>>
>
> I don't understand, it's written "Max sample rate 1Msps 12Bits", doesn't it
> mean 1 mega samples per second ? There's also "Analog bandwidth 0 - 1MHz"...
>
>
>> Take a look to the schematic, try to understand it and you'll see that is
>> less than 500Ksample/second (my appreciation is 200Ksample per second.
>>
>> A decent analogic tektronix of about 100MHz analogic bandwith has exactly
>> the same price...
>>
>
> $89 ??? Where ?!
>
>
> Cheers,
> Seb
>
>
>>
>> Vasile
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Sebastien Lelong <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks for your replies ! "it depends on what I need", and usually I
>>> reply "I don't know !"... except:
>>>
>>>   - cheap
>>>   - small (a big fat analog oscilloscope really isn't an option for me, I
>>> just don't have room for this, but thanks a lot Vasile)
>>>   - easy to use, just turn power on. I don't like USB oscilloscope, they
>>> work under windows (not Linux) and always require to a laptop near
>>>
>>> Now the real thing I don't know is how much MS/sec I need. For instance,
>>> one usage was observing power spikes. I needed this on a circuit, a friend
>>> helped me debug this, I really couldn't have fixed this without a
>>> oscilloscope. Highly frustrating. This is a typical usage for me. I would
>>> also need to see digital signals, like i2c, maybe serial,... well, I don't
>>> know, but I feel this is for a very basic usage ? I also think by using an
>>> oscilloscope I would better be able to understand what's going on behind the
>>> scene, visually. The fact is I'm a software guy, not an hardware guy, and
>>> probably won't ask myself very complex things (most complex thing for me
>>> remains Ohm law :)).
>>>
>>> From what you say, Mike, this 1MS/sec DSO isn't good, not serious because
>>> too low right (far above 5MHz) ? Here are some I had a look at the beginning
>>> of this topic, if you have any advices...:
>>>
>>>   - http://www.owon.co.uk/pdsSeries.asp : PDS5022S and PDS6042S are
>>> affordable I think
>>>   - http://www.rigolna.com/products_ds1000.aspx : same for DS1022C and
>>> maybe DS1042C. What is interesting is you can buy separately a logic
>>> analyzer module. If needed...
>>>
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Seb
>>>
>>> PS: reading this thread, I can see I said "About crossplatform GUI
>>> toolkit [...] you can
>>> use wxpython (I don't like this too much)". Ah ah, Jaluinoide is built
>>> over Editra using wxPython, and I now like it quite much :)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2010/3/5 vasile surducan <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>>  If you need a real analogic scope ( a russian one) I can send you one,
>>>> even a french one will be less expensive than the postage....
>>>>
>>>> Vasile
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:41 AM, vasile surducan <[email protected]>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> NO!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Sebastien Lelong <
>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi guys,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Un-burying this topic, with a pocket DSO from seeedstudio.com:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/micro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Only one channel, analog bandwidth 0 - 1MHz, max sample rate 1Msps
>>>>>> 12Bits, but tiny, and not expensive.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> What do you guys think ? Sounds reasonable ?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> Seb
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2009/1/16 Joep Suijs <[email protected]>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hi Seb,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The schematics is on the polish site. Enclosed a PDF.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> - I used an atmel324 - pin names are the same, numbers are different.
>>>>>>> - I intend to 'upgrade' the design to support pre-sampling and 128k
>>>>>>> storage (in stead of 32k) and run at 20 MHz. This means the circuit
>>>>>>> around the 7400 and 4040's will change a bit and there will be a
>>>>>>> stack
>>>>>>> of 4 memory chips - with a decoder on top - on my board.
>>>>>>> (waiting for the memory to arrive - bought them for just over 10 euro
>>>>>>> including shipping at ebay).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Joep
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 2009/1/16 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>:
>>>>>>> > Ho Joep,
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > Looks nice ! Waiting for schematics !
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > Seb
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > 2009/1/16 Joep Suijs <[email protected]>
>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>> >> Hi Guys,
>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>> >> As mentioned before, we're working on a logic analyser. Hardware
>>>>>>> is
>>>>>>> >> atmel-based, programmed in c and pc program is c#. So it is
>>>>>>> off-topic
>>>>>>> >> ;)
>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>> >> There has been quite some progress on the C# program and we almost
>>>>>>> >> duplicated the functions of the original program. See
>>>>>>> >> http://code.google.com/p/protocolviewer/ for more info.
>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>> >> Joep
>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > --
>>>>>>> > Sébastien Lelong
>>>>>>> > http://www.sirloon.net
>>>>>>> > http://sirbot.org
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>>>>> Groups "jallib" group.
>>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>>>>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>>>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
>>>>>>> -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Sébastien Lelong
>>>>>> http://www.sirloon.net
>>>>>> http://sirbot.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>>>> Groups "jallib" group.
>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>>>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>>>>> .
>>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>  --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "jallib" group.
>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>>> .
>>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sébastien Lelong
>>> http://www.sirloon.net
>>> http://sirbot.org
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>>> "jallib" group.
>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>>
>>
>>  --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "jallib" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Sébastien Lelong
> http://www.sirloon.net
> http://sirbot.org
>



-- 
Sébastien Lelong
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to