On Mar 13, 5:37 pm, mattschinkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'd mention the 16F877 and older are TOTALLY obsolete.
>
> 16F877 is obsolete, but there is not much difference between this one
> and 16F877A. Is 16F877A obsolete? if so, are our samples for 16F877A
> obsolete? Remember that this was at one time a very very popular PIC,
> many people have this PIC on there bench.
>
> Matt.

AFAIK all 16F877A samples will work on the 16F887 ?
According to Microchip the 16F887 replaces the 16F877A

By Pins 6, 8, 14 (= 4 to 12 i/o)
http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1033&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74

By pins 18 or 20  (16 to 18 i/o)
http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1034&mid=10&lang=en

By pins 28, 40, 44
http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1035&mid=10&lang=en

Product Comparison
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/ProductCompare.aspx?product1=PIC16F877&product2=PIC16F887

PIC16F887
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en026561

I agree that mentioning a wide range of chips is good, and I don't
suggest deletion of any reference to older chips. But examples and
tutorials should use the "reasonable" current choice of price/
performance.
I can't think of any reason to use 16F887 over 18F4550 for new
designs.

The range of PICs is enormous.  The tutorial should have links to the
Microchip product selectors and explain trade-off of different models
for hobby, space, power or volume design.



-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to