Hi Matt,

2010/4/18 mattschinkel <[email protected]>:
> Very good work!
Thank you :)

> If it's not too early, how do I try it out? How do I make a .exe?
It is a bit early to do anything usefull, the code shown is all that
works now. If I can spare a few hours, i'll implement other operators
and variable types (that are availabe in C - others have to wait quite
a bit longer).  Makefile.do describes the build process and the
test-command there runs the test. Still a bit complicated, but that
will change!

> I still have the question that I had before. Can I convert C to jal?
I thought I answered that, but to be sure: no, you can't convert from C to JAL.

> I am assuming that if C and JAL are both in Antlr, they can be converted
> both ways. Of course C has some features that we do not have, and
> possibly the other way around as well.
You assume wrong. With antlr grammar, you can generate code to convert
source into a tree. This tree is (in our case) very JALlish and
specific code converts this to C source statements.

C has many complex features JAL does not have. The other way around,
JAL does have some features that are not available in C (like the
powerfull pseudo-variables and useless 'byte out' procedure
parameter), but C provides features to build this.

> C device files could be converted to JAL (depending on licensing). Or
> does Rob feel like making more device files? :)
No, but this is not required either. I tried to explain this before,
but it seems I did not succeed (Vasi asked this too). When I
implemented expressions, I'll give function calls a try and will show
a blink-a-led example on atmel and hope this will clarify this issue.

> Also, how will we respect the original JalV2 compiler? would this make
> it obsolete? I think the final product should contain both JALv2 and
> SDCC compilers. If it is a supported PIC product, it would always use
> JALv2, otherwise SDCC.
Not a chance this project will make the JAL compiler obsolete! The JAL
compiler generates more efficient code then the path via C ever will.
And besides this, this project is still in it's early stages of development.
The JAL compiler was 'code complete' early 2006 and then testing
started with a team of about 5 people, for almost a year and a half.
And since then, has been used (tested) and enhanced for almost 3
years.

> Does this project have a catchy name? Would you like suggestions?
j2c is the (not so original) working name. Let's continue the work
first and when serious testing gives promissing result, we will go
into this.

> What is the fastest/largest processor supported by SDCC? I am
> interested in larger processors.
Have a look at GCC. Arm would be a logical candidate, probably large &
fast enough to cope with the translation overhead and still outperform
PIC16/18.

Joep

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to