On Apr 19, 5:56 pm, William <[email protected]> wrote: > On Apr 19, 11:37 am, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]> > wrote: > > > > > You're right, you can ! I wish I could. > > I once tried to solder one FTDI chip... well... I could post some photos, > > but basically it now looks like a resistor :)
Buy a bunch of really cheap adaptors & chips on ebay to practice! My technique is: 1) Clean board 2) Tin pads with silver content lead free tin solder. 3) Remove any shorts / excess with fluxed solder wick, but all the solder! 4) Clean iron and have NO solder on it 5) Align (or even glue) Chip and press down on two opposing pins at corners 6) Gently press on all pins if aligned. Reflows about 3 pins at once 7) Use Meter in continuity mode and test top of pin at exit of package (gently) to PCB track or DIL pad. 8) press gently on any open pins Don't use a finer tip than 2mm or lower power than 18W as you won't heat the pin & track fast enough. It's very quick, faster to do 64 TQFT than a 28 pin DIP socket! I use reading glasses to read or type. I use a small "helping hand" magnifying glass (about 4cm to 6cm dia?) above board and board is taped to bench I use a large circular lamp illuminated magnifier (about 15cm?) on cantilever arm above the small "helping hand magnifier" Lots of light. steady bench and chair Start with soldering SMD resistors on rear of stripboard / veroboard or even 20c SO8 opamps etc onto stripboard/vero board by sliting a track either side of holes to get two tracks at 0.05" spacing. Practice with those 1c resistors and SO8 chips. Maybe even make an audio amp or zero crossing detector for practice. Can you do it? yes you can! -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jallib" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
