On Apr 19, 11:37 am, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> You're right, you can ! I wish I could.
> I once tried to solder one FTDI chip... well... I could post some photos,
> but basically it now looks like a resistor :)
>

Hi Seb,

I put off trying this myself for years. My first attempts looked bad
too, until I watched some of those tutorial videos at Sparkfun.  For
me, solder wick was the main point I had overlooked -- just tack down
one corner pin - keep fiddling until you see all of the other pins
lining up correctly.  Then slap the solder on, then wick off all of
the shorts (solder bridges).  A friend gave me a pair of Optivisors
which help too.

My hands are big, clumsy, and stiff, yet I managed it.  Is it
production quality- no, but plenty good enough for hobby use.

Besides, Wouter and others offer little modules with the difficult
parts already soldered and tested.  Also the complete boards are
available for reasonable (IMO) cost from Wouter, Olimex, Sparkfun
among others. Microchip has some nice dev boards too, for example the
dsPICDEM / DM300019 with a bunch of plugins which allow trying out all
sorts of different cpus.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorials.php
http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php

William

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to