From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Gene Warner
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 18:19
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Amazon.com

First of all, I use Internet Explorer, I tried firefox once, but found that
it introduced its own problems, so I went back to IE.

One common problem is buttons with no meaningful labels, just "button"
or "submit query". When there's only one it's not much of a problem, but
when you get three buttons next to each other all with the same useless
label.

Today I had to return an item, I was able to get to the returns page, but
could not check the check box for the item I was returning, nor could I get
the drop down list of reasons for my return to work. In the end I had to
call their customer service and get their help to submit the return request.
This wasn't the first time I had to do this either, the first was several
months ago and the problem persists, as does the unlabeled buttons problem
which is well over a year old.

Honestly, I would think that it would be more efficient to use best
practices for accessibility on their main site rather than to try to
segregate screen reader user to an equally flawed and less functional site.
It rather reminds me of how African Americans were treated in the early
sixties and before, separate and unequal.

Cheers!

On 1/8/2017 7:17 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
> I want to explain. First, I don't use Amazon's accessible page. I agree
with you on that. I also realize the regular Amazon page is dense, which is
because it's packed with information. But navigating by h for heading and b
for button gets me to all the areas I usually want.

> I used to have difficulty when a page offered periodic shipments, as
opposed to a one-time purchase. However, Amazon seems to have fixed it. I
brought it to their attention many months ago, and I'm sure others did, too.
It isn't the only problem I've alerted them to that they've addressed.

> So, where are you finding problems?

accessibility challenges on their main site and often find that their
supposedly screen reader optimized site suffers from the same accessibility
challenges, making it hardly worth bothering with.

> I'm asking hoping some people have found ways, or scripts, or other tools
that make amazon.com more accessible.

> I complain to them all the time about their accessibility problems and
always get some boiler plate response that they take accessibility of their
site seriously but nothing ever changes, or it just gets worse.