On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 05:26 PM, Bela Ban wrote:

  3. [Jeremy, Dain] Integration of the cache into the
     PersistenceManager. The first version will have the
     PersistenceManager use the Cache as a replicated in-memory cache.
     Our use case will initially be shared DB, so all nodes use the

Our need for caching is very different from what the other two, so I don't think that it can be done in parallel as it requires some very things in the implementation. I'm still not convinced that we don't need a completely different cache from what the rest of the server will use. Of course we will use the same low level APIs, but I think the rest will need to be custom. I know you and Jeremy have been working these issues out, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

     same database. At a later stage (probably not JB4) we will provide
     unshared DBs. This involves some more efforts, e.g. retrieving
     full DB state for new nodes (from existing nodes).

I think this is a third system that will be very different from the other two. I am concerned that if we try to support all of these different requirements we will end up difficult to use and maintain code, but you are a coding Jedi. Anyway, my point is I don't think they can be done in parallel.

-dain